United is great for booking award travel since they don’t charge high taxes or surcharges, and using United to book Lufthansa Business Class is great for other reasons as well. Sometimes you may be looking for award availability for more than 2 people, and this means that you can pretty much forget about First Class. The availability isn’t there. With Business Class, you have a chance to find award availability for a larger group. In this post, I’m going to share a recent award flight search for a group of 6 people.
United to Book Lufthansa Business Class
There are times where I am after only First Class redemptions, such as my plans to fly on the Lufthansa A380 in First Class, but there are other times where I need to be more practical because I am booking for a larger group of people. Not only do you use more miles to book for more people, but you just aren’t going to find award availability for a large group in First Class. I know that from my home airport (DFW) there is a direct flight on Lufthansa to Frankfurt, Germany, which is my usual entry point for trips to Europe, so I did a search for direct flights from DFW to FRA for 6 people.
The other reason I like using United to book award flights is that you have several options for credit cards to accumulate miles. Both of the United credit cards regularly have a 50K mile signup bonus.
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Business: 50,000 miles for $2,000 spending in 3 months
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (targeted): 50,000 miles for $2,000 spending in 3 months, $50 statement credit after first purchase
The other option is to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned on your Sapphire Preferred, Freedom and Ink Plus to United.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: 50,000 points for $4,000 spending in 3 months, $95 annual fee waived the first year.
- Chase Freedom: 15,000 points for $500 spending in 3 months.
- Chase Ink Plus: 60,000 points for $5,000 spending in 3 months, $95 annual fee NOT waived the first year.
Ultimate Rewards Transfer Partners
There are more opportunities to earn miles and points that can be used on United than you have with most other carriers.
The Bottom Line
The value of United for booking Star Alliance award travel on carriers such as Lufthansa can not overlooked. In addition to the ability to earn miles and points, there are also a lot of award seats available in Business Class on Lufthansa which makes this a great option for people traveling in a group of more than 2 people.